Friday, March 20, 2009

Our family road trip & celebrating Joshua Solo's birthday

Warning lot's of pics a head!
So we had a family wedding to go to in Arizona. Since Jetblue does not fly to Arizona from Salt Lake we decided to fly to Vegas to cut out some driving time and rent a car and drive from there the 4 or 5 hours to Phoenix. Since I have worked for Jetblue the last 6 years, my kids have been very spoiled. We have not really taken a road trip. We have flown everywhere we go. So as soon as we get in our rental minivan, my kids start asking, where's the TV and every 5 mins, they were asking when we would be there. It was very good for them to not have access to a Tv and to actually look outside at the scenery and enjoy the drive. Thank goodness it was only about a 5 hr drive. So after flying into Vegas we had lunch with my sister Tara and then we headed off to Phoenix.

Joshua was in the wedding party and here are a few pics of him in his tux.

We had to call in the size measurements and because we weren't able to do a fitting, when we got the tux, it was a tad small. It was okay though. I still think he looked very handsome. The wedding was on Sat 3/14 which ended up being his birthday as well.

This is taken at the Mesa, AZ temple. That temple is beautiful. One of my favorites, I think.

This is a picture of all the groomsmen with the groom. It was a huge wedding party.

This is all the family for the wedding. It was a beautiful wedding.

In between the reception and the temple that morning we had some time to go back to our hotel and Lloyd took the kids swimming.

I was happy that Joshua was able to do something fun on his birthday. They had so much fun. The weather was beautiful in Phoenix. After the wedding reception that night we went to Baskin Robbins so Joshua could have a yummy birthday dessert. Can you say chocolate peanut butter? YUM!


So I mentioned we rented a minivan. It was awesome. Props to the minivans. We loved it. I am wanting to now trade in my suburban. It was so nice to pull in and out of parking spaces with ease.

We drove through Hoover dam.

The one sad thing about the trip is Milika was really sick. She had fever after fever and a runny nose and so it was hard to enjoy ourselves with her being sick.

They are building a new bridge over the Hoover Dam. It was crazy. If you can tell by my fabulous photography. The bridge is going to curve up very high off the ground. I can't wait to see it when it's done.


We drove from Phoenix back to Vegas on Sunday and we had dinner with my sister Tara. She was so sweet. She decorated her house and made a birthday cake for Joshua. He loved it. Thanks again Tara for doing that and making him feel special.

We ended the trip the next day with lunch at the park in Vegas.

Then flew home that evening. It was a great trip and fun to see family.
Oh and on a side note, just so I have this journaled. Joshua just finished his basketball season. I am a loser because I did not take one picture of him playing basketball. We took a video every game, but forgot about pictures. Anyways, he was in the Dimple Dell league and their team won the tournament and they were also in the AAU tournament that their team took 1st place in as well. They have a great team with some very talented boys. We hope to keep the same team together next year.

9 comments:

Lia said...

Good to see others have to "catch up" on their blogging!
My nephew Joseph got married in that temple. That struck me as interesting. Only two weddings I know of at that temple (it's kind of far from here) and both heavily polynesian. Is there a high concentration of polynesians in Arizona?
Also tell Joshua that he has impeckable taste in ice cream. Baskin Robbins Chocolate Peanutbutter has been my favorite ice cream since I was a kid. So yes, I can say, "YUM!!"

Kristi Amasio said...

Lia I think there are a lot of polys in the Phoenix/Mesa area. In fact, I don't know if your watching Biggest Loser right now, but there are 2 Tongans and they are both from that area as well and are in our family's ward out there. Kind of crazy.

Cyd said...

I thought that was funny to read about how spoiled your kids are with flying every where. That was definitely a good idea to cut out more than half your drive by flying to Vegas and I'm sure Tara loved having a visit from family as well.

Cindy said...

Great pictures Kristi. Looks like you had another great trip. Josh is so handsome in the tux. Congrats also for his team winning the tournament. Thats awesome.

Shannon said...

Looks like fun. I didn't realize Josh's b-day was so close to my boys'. I love spring b-days!!

Cherish said...

Fun family trip! Congratulations Joshua on your awesome team!

Jill said...

Wow that looked so nice and warm!! Sometime it's fun to take road trips. But only sometimes. And I love minivans too for their convienence but there's no way Mike would let us trade in our SUV for one. :(

Tara said...

I loved it! I love that little Joshie so much. he is such a sweetheart. He better not forget the little people once he is a big sports star!!

Lolohea Tonga said...

Didn't you LOVE the weather?! I feel like I didn't even see you guys that weekend. It was a busy one i guess, I noticed we don't see much of each other at the big family stuff. haha but thats okay cuz we can see each other anytime anyway. We rented a mini van too and I'm totally wanting to buy one now! I loved it! Anyway, hope to see you guys soon. :)