Monday, August 11, 2008

Tribute to Ms Robbins

So this weekend I found out some horrible news. My son's 2nd grade teacher last year had been stabbed to death. Her name was Molly Robbins. She was THE best teacher any one of my kids had ever had. She had nothing but praise for the kids in her class. She came to almost every one of Joshua's soccer games and she did the same for other kids in her class. She was very involved and loved these kids so much. She was 51 yrs old and the mother of 5. This is what the paper had to say about what happened.
A Magna woman was killed Friday afternoon by a man police say broke into her home and stabbed her.
The victim's 14-year-old daughter also was assaulted, police say, but fled the home as the attack began and called police from a neighbor's house at about 4:15 p.m.
The Salt Lake County Sheriff's Office received a second call five minutes later from a home about three blocks away. They arrested a man, who was an acquaintance of the victim, in connection with the killing.
Molly Robbins, a 51-year-old mother of five, was pronounced dead at the scene of the attack near 7300 West and 4000 South.
Neighbors said the man police arrested, 52-year-old Charles Gunkel, was at one time a boyfriend of the victim. Wendy Carmean said she had known Robbins for 20 years and had seen her and Gunkel holding hands together in church two weeks ago.
Salt Lake County Sheriff's Lt. Paul Jaroscak said Gunkel was booked Friday night on investigation of aggravated murder, aggravated burglary and aggravated assault. Jaroscak said the exact cause of Robbins' death would be determined by a medical examiner, but that she had suffered stab wounds. A knife was recovered in a front hedge at Robbins' home.
Another neighbor and long-time friend of Robbins, Joy Laisnez, shook her head in disbelief over the incident and said no one she knew had witnessed any indication that the relationship between Gunkel and Robbins could turn violent. Laisnez said her daughter was a friend of Robbins' daughter and had spent time around Gunkel and Robbins. After the incident Friday, Laisnez said she asked her daughter if she'd ever seen anything "inappropriate" happen while around the couple, and her daughter said "never."
"My daughter was in shock. 'How could he do that? ... How could he do that? ... He was the nicest guy,' was what she said to me," Laisnez said.
A neighbor of Gunkel's who asked not to be identified said he knew the suspect only in passing, but he couldn't believe what happened Friday night.
"This is a quiet, family-oriented neighborhood. ... It's just not the kind of thing you'd ever expect," he said.

She was a wonderful person and a wondeful teach and every time I think about this it just makes me sick. I wish she could of died another way instead of such a horrible death. She did teach at West Valley Elementary before Gearld Wright opened up, so some of you may of known her. Such a sad, sad story.

9 comments:

Lia said...

A friend of mine that I worked with at WVE talked to me this morning on the phone and told me about what happened. How very sad. I'm sure it will be difficult for little ones to get their heads around. It's awful to think about as an adult. I didn't know her, but have heard great things.

Kim said...

Oh, that's so sad. I hope her children will get through this very hard time.

♥Concerned♥ said...

Kristi your little family is SO STINKIN' CUTE!! I remember hanging out with Tara at your house when you and Lloyd were just dating. Wow, how time flies!

That is such a sad story. It makes me so nervous about the kind of people who could be hiding in plain sight, you know?

Sharee Spotten said...

That is so sad. She sounds like a great person and a good teacher. We did buy a little fishing boat with my brother glenn. It is fun to go out on the lake and fish but the next boat we buy will be so we can go skiing.

Tara said...

How awful! She sounds like a nice lady. What a psycho guy to go and do that without any obvious signs. Crazy!

Scott and Mary said...

That was so sad about your son teacher, I was actually showing my husband your blog because he knows your husband and I was showing him your cute family.... I am so sad for the family too. That must be hard for your son too.

Jill said...

Thats so sad. I hate hearing about things like that.

Cherish said...

I am so sorry to hear about this. I am so glad we know what we know about God's plan. How could we make any sense of our crazy world without it.

I just caught up with all your blogs. Tell Lloyd congrats!

Scott and Mary said...

Hi Kristi, thanks for your nice comment. You are to good to me, I ran into your Mom at Wendy's the other day, she is so cute! I feel bad though because I was being a nerd and I totally forgot to introduce her to Scott and my kids. Tell her sorry for being so rude! It was really fun talking to her. I also saw Cindy at the fitness Center in the Parking lot but by the time I got in there I couldn't find her to talk to her... Hope you are doing great! Maryann