Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Family Reunion in Idaho Falls

A few weeks ago we went to my Dad's side of his family reunion in Rigby, Idaho which is a few miles away from Idaho Falls. I had committed to my Dad that our family would go a few months a head of time but as it was getting closer to the weekend of going, I was not excited. None of my other siblings could go and I was dreading driving out there for one day. So we decided to go the night before and we stayed in a hotel and the kids were able to go swimming and we had a great breakfast provided by the hotel the next morning. We got up early and after breakfast we headed to see some of the places I had not been to in years. These are some beautiful Falls that are right in front of the IF temple. It was a beautiful day and weekend. I missed my bros and sis' being there with us but we ended up having a wonderful time with my parents and my Dad's family.



This is the house that my Dad grew up in, with his 6 other siblings. He was raised in a small town called Ririe. He grew up on a farm and had several acres of land. We grew up visiting my Grandparents in this little house. We loved this house and staying here as kids. It has a little creek behind the house that we played in and I thought was huge as a kid but looking at it now, it was just a little creek. I have so many great memories of staying here and of my Grandparents. Sadly, my younger siblings don't have quite as many memories as do me and my older sister. My Grandma passed away in 1985 and they moved my Gpa out of this house shortly after that. I remember one time as a kid getting snowed in one winter and not being able to go back home to Utah and back to school and I thought that was the coolest thing ever. I have memories of riding horses and the chicken coop in the back where my Gpa would get eggs. It was so great to go there after several years of not seeing this little house.

This is the cute little LDS Church where my parents had their wedding reception 40+ years ago. It's such a cute chapel and its actually used as a reception center now.

We were also able to visit my Grandparents graves which I have not been to in several years. It was really neat to go back to the cute, very small cemetary and pay our respects. We also found my Dad's Grandparents graves as well.

Unfortunately we didn't take any pics at the reunion of my cousins and aunts and uncles. But we had a great time and I am soooo glad that we went and that I was able to show my husband and kids that bit of history of my family.

4 comments:

Lia said...

What great memories you have and are creating for your kids!

Cindy said...

Wish it would have worked out for us to go. It would have been so cool to see the old house and graves etc. Looks like you got some great pictures.

The Bronson Bunch said...

I gotta say that church is beautiful! What a neat place to have a reception at! I miss Jason's parents living in Idaho too. Though it's nice to have them here in Salt Lake the memories of visiting is so fun! Glad you had a great time!

Jewel said...

Oh my gosh! My very own Mr. Green grew up in Ririe, and the Shelton chapel is where his sister, Kristen, had her wedding reception. Isn't it beautiful...and isn't it a small world?